Monday 16 April 2018

Etsy shop find...a chat with Little Design Haus

This months etsy interview is with the lovely Melbourne based designer Lyndy Hants, of Little Design Haus.
Her contemporary, scandi inspired wall art and prints, perfect for stylish nurseries and kids rooms are just beautiful.

There are plenty of unique characters available in her etsy shop, in her statement style, and in array of colourways. You even have the option to customise the colour palette to your chosen decor! 
How perfect is that?

Scandi influenced design is always a winner for me, and I just love her clean and minimal aesthetic, and those colours! 
Choose from tigers, elephants, bears, monkeys, lions, so many to list... and a recent new print, a lovely pair of happy whales.
**Lucky readers can grab a super special 20% off in the Little Design Haus shop using the code 'LOVEPRINT' at checkout**
So, lets have a little read about Lyndy shall we...


1.Can you tell us a bit about you and your background?

In my previous life (before children), I studied Illustration and Design here in Melbourne and went on to freelance for many years, creating designs for greeting cards, wrapping paper, notebooks, etc. 
After a career break to take care of my little boys I decided to start Little Design Haus. I’ve really enjoyed creating my own designs - but also tailoring them to the needs of my customers after lots of feedback over the years. 
The business has been able to grow gradually and organically as I’ve found myself with more time. It’s been really important to be able to fit my work around my
kids’ schedules.


2.  Tell us about a typical day for you...

My day begins with several cups of tea, making lunchboxes and general family mayhem, until I get my boys off to school.
After that I fit in my daily exercise (often a walk along the river near my home, a bike ride or trip to the gym) and settle down to work. 
My work has several aspects, from fielding customer queries, customising existing prints to suit my customers’ spaces, printing/packing orders, working on new designs for the store and working on commissioned pieces. 
I also do many trips to the local Post Office each week! 
In the afternoon I do whatever is needed with my kids, dinner, and our family 
routines, before finishing off some bits and pieces/emails and getting organised for the next day. 


3. What's your favourite item listed for sale in your shop? 
And the most popular item?

I think my favourite item is probably my recent set of 6 Safari/animal prints. 
These have also been the most popular recently - my customers often like having a number of prints to hang together. 
My colour customising is also very popular!


4. How would you describe your style/ work?
 My work is clean, modern, minimal, and defininitely Scandi-inspired! 
I love simple, unfussy design.



5. Can you give us an insight into your creative process?

Recently I’ve been designing many animal prints, so a new piece has generally started with lots of photos of the animal - I like to start with realistic images, even if the end result looks very stylised. 
I also pull together lots of reference /inspiration that I’ve gathered along the way - from  magazine cutouts to images from pinterest, colour inspiration etc. It all helps! From there I start mapping out the design on pencil and paper - basically sorting out how I will simplify and stylise the image. 
Once I have a rough plan on paper I then work digitally, and gradually the design takes shape. I will produce many, many (many!) versions of the design before I’m happy with it. It’s never a quick process.


6. What's your guilty pleasure? 

Well, I have lots! Generally speaking though, as a mother of three my guilty pleasures are the simple ones - a quiet read, the chance to enjoy a cup of tea in peace, dinners out with my husband, coffees with girlfriends, a glass of vino in the evenings...
Oh, and buying new plants for my garden!


7.  Where do you work? Describe your studio/ work area...

 I’m lucky enough to work from a sunny upstairs studio in our home. It’s bright, light and peaceful - a  bit of a haven really.


8. What makes you laugh?

My children - and husband - make me laugh regularly. 
The craziness of family life has given us plenty to laugh about over the years. 


9. Tell us ten random facts about yourself...

1. I  spent my early childhood years in the country, but am scared of horses (those hooves!!)
2. I love gardening.
3. I’ve had a very “un-girly” life. I grew up with three brothers and now have three sons.
4. I’m a “dog person” but am dog-free at the moment. Instead we have two chooks!
5. I love baking cakes, but hate baking biscuits. Somehow they never work out.
6. My second child had heart surgery as a newborn. It was an unbelievably stressful time.
7. I’m quite tall. I was alway “the tall one” in school class.
8. I love country town bakeries - all those good old fashioned cakes. Yum!
9.  My three boys all have coppery coloured hair.
10. I haven’t owned a TV for twenty years. 



10. Any exciting plans for 2018?

I have many new designs in the  pipeline! I also plan to be able to offer bigger prints soon, as I’m often asked for larger sizes.


A big thanks to Lyndy for taking the time to be part of the etsy interview feature, and giving us an insight into her world.

Follow Little Design Haus on instagram and facebook.


x x x


SHARE:
Blog Design Created by pipdig